Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Commute (Pedestrian Rage)


For those people who have to sit on 217 on the west side of Portland, or find themselves randomly stopped near Chehalis on I-5, or for those poor suckers who have to get on the Beltway to commute from Baltimore to DC, I understand why you might have some road rage. Those are all very irritating situations to find oneself in (and situations I have experienced myself, so I know that they suck!) and you are justified if you spew explicatives at the other drivers on the road or even ride your horn when someone cuts you off and almost causes an accident as a result. The drivers in Ann Arbor (or all of Michigan, for that matter) have no excuse on par with any of the scenarios I just laid out and they are the most brutal drivers I have yet to encounter in this country (southern California included!). My question is why? Because you missed the light and will have to wait all of five minutes before you can go? Is that why you think you're justified in nearly killing me everyday on my way to work as I try to cross the street, at a crosswalk, when the little white man says it's my turn? Today, no fewer than three cars cut me off at the crosswalk and finally I started to walk in front of the fourth guy gesticulating wildly and saying something to the effect of, "what the fuck, it's my turn!" I am one step away from pounding on a car hood and yelling "I'm walking here!"

Needless to say, I think it's time for me to leave Michigan, don't you?! Well, I will get my wish soon enough. My last day at the lab is July 18 (long story short: I am being laid off ten days early because my boss can't afford to pay me- neat, isn't it?) and I think it is going to be the slowest 24 days of my life!

1 comment:

Patty said...

You know what's weird? I was reading Postsecret on Sunday and someone used this same picture for a secret about road rage- funny, huh?