Monday, June 2, 2008

Mama to Michigan!

I have been gearing up for my mom's visit to Ann Arbor for a couple of months now since she booked her trip way in advance. Still, I never got over being excited because 1) she's my mom and she's coming into town (hello!) and 2) I never thought she'd make it to Michigan because I complain about living in Ann Arbor so much that she wasn't exactly thrilled to hop on a plane for four and a half hours to check it out. She is on a long list of people who promise to come visit me in DC and have little (well, let's be honest, no) interest in making a trip east before then.

Things started off a little shakily, with my mom and Mark (my stepdad) not bothering to ask us for directions to Ann Arbor from the airport, getting themselves lost, and almost missing our (that is, my mom and I's) pedicure appointments. We quickly rebounded by arriving in the nick of time here. My mom said it was the best pedicure she'd ever had (it was a Mother's Day present, so hers included a peppermint wrap, paraffin, and some other bonuses as well...I couldn't afford to give myself the star treatment as well, so I went with your basic pedicure), so I considered that a success! After that, my mom and Mark met our puppy, Buttercup, for the first time, much to her excitement, before heading out to dinner and microbrews here.

I was proud of my mom and Mark for getting up relatively early to make the fairly long drive (about four hours) to Benzonia, MI near the Lake (Michigan, that is), a remote (that's polite, really) location selected because it's near a spot where the Platte River feeds into the Lake. Last year for Memorial Day weekend, Alex and I went there and it was unseasonably warm- we happily swam in the juncture where the two bodies of water meet- and it was also an ideal fishing spot for my boy! Alex and I had checked beforehand to see what the dog policy was here because we wanted to be sure we could take B-cup along, so we went to our little spot on Saturday (Mom and Mark stayed behind to take a nap)...only to find out that 1) they don't allow pets beyond a certain point- the point we were interested in going- because it is a nesting area for some bird species (if you actually clicked on the last link it specifically says that pets are allowed from the Platte River Campground to Lake Michigan- exactly where we were!) and 2) that the water was freaking cold and that only a few fish could be spotted. Oh well, Buttercup was very well-behaved while I read my book and Alex found out that he couldn't fish there.

We got back to the hotel, only to discover that Mark was intent on watching the first game of the Stanley Cup Final, thus thwarting my plans of watching Indiana Jones at this drive-in movie theatre (although, to be fair, I highly doubt my mom told him I had wanted to do that...and I seemed to be the only one intent on making this a reality).



The weather in the month of May had been pretty lame, with temperatures in the fifties for a shocking amount of time, but a reprieve was rumored to be on its way: the forecast was in the seventies, with mostly clear skies for the weekend. Well, as usual, the meteorologists in the Detroit area managed to keep their jobs despite being completely wrong. As we finally ventured out to the Lake, after being delayed by rain, the winds changed and dumped us again. After about five minutes on the beach. Literally. Oh, and this spot that Alex and I had been to our first summer in Michigan (the water looks like the Caribbean when the weather cooperates!) doesn't allow dogs near the sand dune we wanted to go to either. Yay. So, we cut our losses: Alex went fishing on the Betsie River and later we all had dinner and margaritas at the Roadhouse, a cute Mexican bar and grill near where we were staying.



Alex and I hoped that we would get one last shot at enjoying the Lake by stopping in Frankfort, which is known to be a bit more tourist-y than where we had been so far, on the way home, but for reasons I won't get into, we ended up driving straight back to A2. We checked out this burger joint my mom and Mark had seen on the Food Network show Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives called Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger. It was delicious!



So, although our trip was not the beach-bumming, fishing experience Alex and I had hoped for, it was soooo great to see my Mom and find out that Buttercup + long car rides = no problem!

3 comments:

Patty said...

A note about the picture of my mom and I- I know it looks awful and we did in fact take another one with our smiling faces, but I thought this one was more true to the trip to the beach and the weekend in general. So enjoy the evidence that the Carlsons are not a photogenic people!

Lindsey said...

Welcome to the blogger world, good to have you! I look forward to reading updates! Hope all is well!

Lindsey

nicole said...

lol...glad you added the note...i was just going to say... that really looks like it says how bad the weather was!

ps did you know blogger will email you when you have comments? I heart that feature!