Tuesday, June 24, 2008

BBQ Season Kick-off

So, as you all are probably tired of hearing by now, it's been a crazy couple of weeks. Between Katrin's visit, our trip to DC, and scrambling to get everything together to rent the house and fill out the paperwork for Alex's new job and Visa, we've been running around "like monkeys," as Alex would say. This picture of me at the hotel in Maryland last Sunday pretty much sums it up.

So, we decided that we should celebrate our victories by having our first barbecue of the season. When we got to our spot, someone was already busy in an activity of her own: this turtle was laying her eggs (I tried 27 times to get these eggs in focus, but I just don't think it's going to happen)!





























This particular place doesn't actually have grills, but Alex and I discovered these things (for two dollars!!!) at Meijer that have everything you need to BBQ even without one. We loaded two of these up with chicken, red pepper, and kabobs:
























I am staunchly opposed to melon in all its forms (it may sound weird if you're hearing this for the first time, but I inherited this from both of my parents!), but Alex and Buttercup enjoyed some cantaloupe for dessert...well, Buttercup seems to be in doggy bliss, but Alex looks less than impressed by its quality.

















We got lucky: no rain,
despite what they predicted. Alex even caught two fish: a pike and a catfish. After that, we came home and watched Fool's Gold, which was actually a lot better than I would have thought.

No comments: