Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I Love...


For those of you out there who do not enjoy following the news, lack the discipline to subscribe to the New York Times or even to scan the headlines of CNN.com, or just want another way to be informed about the world, I think you should give National Georgraphic a lookover. I randomly bought one at the grocery store a couple of months ago because I was intrigued about the cover story, "Inside Animal Minds," so I decided to buy it on a whim. Not only was the article I was initially drawn to extremely interesting, but I was also fascinated to learn about how smelters are polarizing the nation of Iceland (do any of you reading this honestly know anything about Iceland?!) and how Bhutan is slowly incorporating technology into its way of life and the social impact of this transition (to be honest, I had never heard of Bhutan before!). Not only are the articles informative and extremely interesting, but the photography- OMG (an acronym I normally disdain). I think what makes it so great (besides all the reasons I just gave) is that it brings to light regions, people, issues, etc. that do not get attention in mainstream media, as well as covering stories of which you may already be aware. Stupidly, I have been buying it off the newsstand ever since, which has got to stop (a year long subscription is only $15)! So, you should look into it, is the point!

No comments: