Thursday, July 3, 2008

Drowning in Paperwork


Yes, healthcare insurance coverage is becoming less-inclusive, more complicated, and more expensive as insurance companies and providers look for ways to keep costs down. Yes, this has led to medicine becoming more and more of a business in recent years and to fewer people utilizing preventative care or any medical care, for that matter, because they don't want to or can't afford to pay for it. I knew all of this before and yet still I want to go into medicine. I like to think that I will do my part to improve the broken system when I get there and also hope that a change in administration will occur and begin to address some of these problems before then.

In the meantime, as a patient, I can totally understand why no one wants to go to the doctor unless something is really wrong (and many of them resist even then!). I have just spent the majority of my day (which began at 8:30) thus far on the phone to various doctor's offices with little to show for myself. Yes, I have quite a few things to arrange, but why, oh why, do they have to make it so complicated?! I need to have my medical records, for example, transferred to my current doctor so that they can fill out the forms I need for Georgetown saying that my immunizations are all up to date. For one tetanus shot I had in the summer of 2006 at the University of Michigan, I was made to wait on hold for 15 minutes (while the pre-recorded messages informs me of all the awards the UofM system won last year for patient care, what a crock!), only to be transferred to the medical records department and told that I or my current doctor have to submit a written request to them AND that it will take five to ten business days to process! Not only that, but when I called my doctor's office to see if they could submit the request, I was told that I need to pick up a request form at their office. For one shot, people!

I need to go to a dermatologist to have them look at some moles on my back since I'm super fair-skinned and at high risk for skin cancer. My doctor "referred" me (0r so I thought) to one and gave me the number to call to make an appointment (remember when your primary doctor's office used to do that for you?). So, I called them up today and initially they said they couldn't see me until August 12th, until I mentioned that I will be moving and need to get in before August. Suddenly, an appointment on the 24th materialized from the ether. Now, I have to call my doctor's office (which will be my third call today) to have them make the referral so that I can actually be seen. Why am I even bothering?, I have asked myself countless times today. I am a young, healthy individual and I have plenty of other things going on in my life with the upcoming move without having to deal with this bureaucracy, "protocol," and paper-pushing! Grr...I think that's going to be one of the hardest things for me to adjust to as a doctor. Maybe this little misadventure today is one experience I must have to help prepare me for such a frustrating future.

5 comments:

Tricia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tricia said...

Dude. I totally understand. This week I had a similar ordeal. All I needed was one single piece of paper faxed from my old doctor's office to my current one before my appointment on Wednesday. I began the process by filling out a medical records request which, yes, had to be done in person (even though I only wanted one paper!) a full week and a half prior. The ensuing days brought a MINIMUM of 15 phone calls on my behalf to both the old and current doctor's offices, and the stupid sheet of paper never made it. Ah!!!!

July 5, 2008 8:42 AM

Kirsten said...

So I just got a chance to check out your blog and am fully caught up. I also can relate to this post because I just went through the SAME ordeal getting my immunization records from OSU to U of A. Yikes...such a process.

Patty said...

I'm sorry to hear that I'm not the only one having to suffer because it only proves my point that people who are trying to be responsible and stay on top of their health (or really need documentation for an outside source, i.e. grad school) are discouraged from doing so by this ridiculous "system" we have for helping them through this process.

Patty said...

Update: I discovered as I was looking at the form Georgetown wants me to complete that I have to have two TB tests- within 1-3 weeks of one another! I passed the first one this week, but who knows what I might be up to this weekend- I may catch TB!